Thursday, March 17, 2011

It's Not About the Knee

It's been six weeks of training with LLS's Team in Training. Sometimes I think I have missed more group practices than I have made. There are the ski trips (I'm not complaining!), the flu (I am complaining), the snow (The pool closed), and the time I was late and missed the running group (It was raining anyway).

We have to settle for one coach this year, instead of three. But Wade is a really, really good coach. I've gotten great tips for bike gearing on hills. I've gotten my swim stroke corrected. I'm learning about hydration.

Last Tuesday we ran around Greenlake -- first from the Community Center to the Aqua Center. Then we did laps on the amphitheater seating. Suck in those gluts and abs. Then we ran the rest of the way around Greenlake.

My knee has giving me fits lately. Once again, I am concerned. Should I really be running at all? I mentioned this to the training crowd last week. A physical therapist was suggested. A particular physical therapist was suggested. A physical therapist that was married to one of my teammates. After some deliberation, and a little more research, I made an appointment.

This group, Stretch, was amazing. Turns out that my problems comes from my back, my ever-aching back and herniated disc from 20 years ago. Yes, my knee is still healing from last fall's surgery, but it's my back that not firing all of its cylinders. So we are working on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment